Best Hegel Reference Heard Today, errr ever

as Hegel said… Kant’s requirement to become acquainted with the instrument, in this case the Mind, before one starts to use it, is like a resolution not to venture into water until one has learned to swim

The insight here is that its impossible to learn to swim without first getting wet.  A reference to this critique of Kant by Hegel was casually slipped into a discussion I had today with a friend about different approaches to introducing new technologies into society. (The quote above came this blog, who also cites the original passage.)

Comments

6 Responses to “Best Hegel Reference Heard Today, errr ever”

1. Hsien Lei on June 29th, 2007 3:58 am

Dang. You obviously hang out with some very clever people. Oh, wait. You’re one of them! ;)

But back to the point - it may be time for me to try a DNA test. You know I’ve never had one before?

2. jasonbobe on July 27th, 2007 1:09 pm

So, have you tried a DNA test yet? Maybe you should start with some PTC paper (Phenylthiocarbamide) and ease yourself into it!

Having some PTC paper around is great for talks in small settings. I’ve found it to be a useful and fun way to talk about pharmacogenomics. The people in the room who can’t taste bitter are like the people in the room who won’t respond to drugs.

3. Hsien Lei on July 27th, 2007 1:14 pm

Whoa. Catching up on old comments? ;)

I think we tried the PTC paper in science class. Can’t remember if it was jr. high or high school.

Maybe I should host a genetic genealogy/Genographic Project party and invite people to submit a DNA sample for fun. Oh, oops. I guess 23andMe has already done that, haven’t they? Bah.

4. jasonbobe on July 27th, 2007 1:25 pm

“Whoa. Catching up on old comments?”

I’m commenting like its 1999. No, the real answer is that I have a lot to do this afternoon so I’m organizing my sock drawer and catching up on old comments focusing on important action items.

OMG I hope none of my colleagues heard me say that.

[Whistling] Nothing to see here, move along.

5. Hsien Lei on July 27th, 2007 1:46 pm

Ahh. So I see you’re an adherent of John Perry’s Structured Procrastination. LOL

6. jasonbobe on July 27th, 2007 1:55 pm

Are you trying to make me not get stuff done or what? That article is hysterical.

If anyone else would like to distract me this afternoon, now is an excellent time — I quite vulnerable right now with all of the pressing deadlines. ;)